Acupuncture is a very effective modality for assistance with fertility issues. Oftentimes, acupuncture alone can assist a couple who is trying to conceive. Ideally, one should be in treatment for at least 3 months, when trying to conceive without medical assistance. For some, this length of time is not required, and certain blocks can be removed more quickly. For others, the time may stretch a bit longer. If a couple finds that they need or want to move to a medically assisted fertility technique, such as IVF, having been in acupuncture treatment previously will still reap benefits. Research shows that IVF is 40-60% more effective or likely to work when one or both members of the couple have been receiving acupuncture.
Lifang Liang states in her book about acupuncture and infertility that in clinical observation, the ultrasound shows that, after acupuncture, the color of a woman’s ovaries change from cloudy to bright and clear. The follicles usually double in number, the lining of the uterus becomes thicker, and the number of embryos increases significantly. Patients experience less side effects from Western drugs and feel more at ease and happy. For male patients, the semen quality significantly improves and the sperm number greatly increases.
- Improves the function of the ovaries to produce better quality eggs
- Regulates the hormones to produce a larger number of follicles
- Increases blood flow to the uterus to increase the thickness of the uterine lining
- Relaxes the patient and decreases their stress
- Prevents the uterus from contracting
- Lessens the side effects of drugs used in IVF
- Improves the semen to create better quality and quantity of embryos
- Decreases chances of miscarriage
Jill has years of experience working with fertility patients, both unassisted and assisted. Many patients stay with her for the duration of their pregnancies. Acupuncture is also effective in working to prevent miscarriages and can help to keep a woman comfortable and calm during her pregnancy.